Barontoo's Blogspot

Welcome on the webblog of Barontoo, the first Belgian blog listed as a WAYMARK. I started this blog in July 2005 in my mothertongue Dutch. But since it is listed as a Waymark I continue to write my comments in English. So take a look at it, post somewhere a comment and do not forget to log it! To do so click on the 1st link in the left frame hereunder and click then on "Visit Waymark (Post log)". Thanks!

Mijn foto
Naam:
Locatie: Brussels, Belgium

Saturday March 18, 2006

42 new caches along a railway line!


From 1885 until 2003, "Die Vennbahn" served as an ever changing military, civil or touristical/historical railway. The most recent use has been as a touristical line with historical locomotives. At the end of 2003, the line has been closed down, due to a political decision, not to provide the money for necessary maintenance. This still hurts ...
As a result of the Treaty of Versailles, the part from Raeren to Kalterherberg was defined as Belgian territory, although it runs nearly completely through Germany.
Now, a German geocaching team (Stormy, Motoracer and Eagle Theo) placed 42 new caches along this line.
Yesterday I had an hour to spend during a seminaire in a hotel in that region. So I tried to find the cache "Vennbahn, Bahnhof Sourbrot", but as I did not find it I had to log a DNF. I did not know what I was looking for and there was almost a meter of snow at the cacheplace!
Bahnhof Sourbrot
Only 2 km away was laying a second one: "Vennbahn, Bahnhof Robertville". And this one I found: it was a film cannister with only a logbook. So I suppose that all 42 caches are of the same shape. One day ... I will find these all!